14 Encouraging Bible Verses For Hard Times
Not every day is sunshine and rainbows. And even the most optimistic, glass half full kind of people have a bad day every now and then.
Sometimes it’s a day where a bunch of little things go wrong. While other days it can be one big event or unfortunate happening that discourages you.
When the going gets tough, one can find comfort when turning to the Bible, which is densely populated with words of wisdom, encouragement, and motivation to get through the tough times.
Encouraging Bible Verses That Will Inspire You
1. Psalm 55:22 “Cast your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.”
A powerful verse, Psalm 55:22 touches on how you don’t have to go it alone when times are tough. Instead, turn to the Lord who will ‘sustain’ you and help you get through it. Regular prayer and keeping God in your heart is a great way to keep your spirits up.
2. Psalm 46:1 “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.”
We occasionally forget that God is always with us. When times are good and we are feeling fortunate, we tend to praise God. But, when times are bad, it can be a common thought to believe that he has abandoned you in your moment of need. This is not true though. As this Bible verse mentions, God is “very present” even when we are faced with difficulties and will help you get through them.
3. Psalm 9:9 “The LORD is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek you.”
Similar to the previous verse, Psalm 9:9 emphasizes placing your trust in God. Whether in good times or bad times, this is something we should strive to do every day. God will help you as long as you continue to trust Him.
4. Mark 10:27 “Jesus looked at them and said, ‘With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.’”
A very popular verse amongst athletes, Mark 10:27 is an excellent verse to turn to when you need that extra motivation to take on the day. This is a great verse for when doubt starts to creep in your mind. Don’t let it, and remember that “all things are possible with God.”
5. Psalm 37:23-24 “The LORD makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand.”
A fantastic verse that touches on the idea that sometimes God may test us, or that sometimes the world isn’t perfect. However, when you place your faith with God, you will never fall.
6. 1 Timothy 6:12 “Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.”
The first line in 1 Timothy 6:12 is particularly beautiful and encouraging: “Fight the good fight of the faith.” Essentially, this verse inspires you to never give up and to keep doing what’s right. Those who continue to fight the good fight will find happiness.
7. Psalm 28:6-7 “Praise be to the LORD for He has heard my cry for mercy. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him.”
While this entire verse is excellent, “The Lord is my strength and my shield…” is a particularly powerful section. When times are tough, the Lord will help give you the strength needed to carry on. It’s important to never forget that.
8. Hebrews 12:1-3 “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him, he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”
God sacrificed himself for us. This too is important to never forget. “… let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith” is an important piece of advice from this phrase as well. When we focus on Jesus, we are much better equipped to handle the challenges that face us.
9. Psalm 62:5-8 “Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him. Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I shall not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.”
Touching on similar ideas as past verses on this list, Psalm 62:5-8 encompasses a lot of good messages. For those that trust in God, he will act as your rock; your fortress and you will not be shaken.
10. Jeremiah 29:11-13 “For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”
God has a plan for all of us and this verse from Jeremiah explains that perfectly. When we trust in this plan and seek God with all our heart, good things will happen.
11. Ezra 10:4 “Rise up…take courage and do it.”
A great verse for those that need motivation, sometimes it takes a little grit and courage to get through things. God will help you find the courage you need to take on the challenges that lay ahead.
12. 1 Corinthians 10:13 “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.”
When times are tough, it’s important to remember that everyone experiences hardships and that God will not let you be “tempted” beyond what you can handle. In the end, God will help you through it.
13. Isaiah 40:28-31 “Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”
While this entire verse is certainly inspiring, the “soar on wings like eagles” is particularly encouraging. If you’re looking for the strength to get through something tough, then place your hope in the Lord.
14. Hebrews 13:5 “God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’”
God is always with us. Always remember that.